I’m not sure when this happened, but Friday nights have become my night “off” of cooking. Once upon a time Friday night was my night to invite friends over for dinner, and I always seemed to be cooking up a storm on Fridays. But these days Fridays are my nights to eat out, eat leftovers, or eat something really quick and easy. Tonight is a quick and easy kind of night; here’s a pasta salad that will hit the spot – tasty, quick and healthy too. Happy Friday!
- 1 bag of rotini pasta (454 grams), cooked (I used an ancient grain pasta)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cucumber, diced
- 1 orange bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 – 1/3 cup kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
- 4 tbsp hazelnut oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup mirin (or maple syrup would work nicely too)
- 1/3 cup water
- several pinches sea salt
- fresh thyme, stemmed and chopped
- Cook, drain, rinse and cool pasta
- Prepare marinade in a bowl that will fit the whole salad. Tweak to taste (but keep in mind that it should be strong-tasting as the pasta will dull the flavour).
- Chop up the vegetables and put them into the marinade, allowing them to soak up some of the marinade
- Add pasta and olives, and stir everything well.